I thought it would be helpful to share some glossaries for terms describing various genders and orientations, both to help cisgender writers understand the range of gender identities and to transition us into next month’s discussion about sexuality and non-heteronormative relationships.
- Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Glossary: This first glossary covers a lot of basic terms, including problematic ones to avoid.
- List of LGBTQ+ Vocabulary: This list is a little more comprehensive.
- Gender Master List: This glossary offers a more in-depth look at gender identities.
- Orientation Master List: This list provides information about various orientations and attractions.
Some important things to keep in mind:
- Orientation and gender identity are two separate things. One does not determine the other. (See this blog post.)
- Terms are defined by the individuals and communities who use them, not the dictionary, and definitions may differ from person to person.
- Don’t make assumptions. Listen first. Ask questions in a respectful manner, and remember that some things are simply none of your business. Check out this guide for more suggestions about how to be a better ally.